Cold rooms are essential for any companies that need to store food products, pharmaceuticals and other items that need to be kept cool so they don’t deteriorate. However, they’ll only keep those items in perfect condition if they work properly, are clean and hygienic and have a temperature that’s constantly at the required level. In order to achieve this, you need to institute a regular cleaning and cold room maintenance routine and ensure you stick to it.
Proper Organisation and Procedures
All items should be stored in such a way that they are easy to find, can be easily accessed and inspected and don’t obstruct airflow from fans. This will allow good working practices, ensure products don’t deteriorate and maintain a constant temperature throughout.
It’s also important that the door is not left open for long periods. This allows warm air to enter, raising the temperature, allowing condensation to form and encouraging mould to grow. Spillages will cause bacteria and must be cleaned up immediately they occur.
- Check the temperature is at the correct setting.
- Inspect for ice build-up on the evaporator, for oil leakages from the compressor and that refrigerant levels are correct.
- Make sure the cold room is dry since excess moisture can cause an icy floor that is a safety hazard.
- Remove dust from floors with a vacuum cleaner and then wipe down floors and all surfaces with warm water and mild detergent or a specialist cleaning product.
- Check doors and door seals for cracks and wear that will allow warm air to enter.
- Ensure all products are correctly and neatly organised.
- Dispose of any items that are spoiled or out-of-date to prevent bacteria growth.
- Calibrate the temperature and ensure it remains constant when the room is full.
- Clean the evaporator casing and fins, plus all fans, so the correct temperature is maintained.
- Check everything is working correctly — control valves, reverse blowing and defrosting function.
- Conduct a full system functional test.
In addition to the monthly tasks, wash the heat exchanger chemically. This removes impurities that prevent efficient functioning.
Getting Professional Help
The efficient operation of your cold room is essential to your business and can’t be left to chance. You must, therefore, always be sure to stick to the schedule and don’t miss or avoid anything. Losing produce can be a costly business while using or issuing produce that is not at its best will be damaging for your company’s reputation.
At Batchelor Air Conditioning & Refrigeration company, we can supply and install cold rooms that will be ideal for whatever you want to store. We can provide all the help and advice you need to use them correctly and can create a comprehensive support package that will include regular services and preventative maintenance to keep the system running efficiently and reliably.
We’ll identify potential problems and prevent them from happening, avoiding large repair bills, disruption and spoilt produce. With our assistance, you need never waste any produce through spoit produce. With our assistance, you need never waste any produce through spoilage and will keep everything as fresh as your reputation deserves to be.