The air source heat pump is a relatively new invention. Using energy from the air outside, the pump heats interiors and water without the need for fossil fuels. But as with most things, there comes a con with every pro. To help you decide if an air source heat pump is for you, we’ve deciphered the advantages and disadvantages of this sustainable, green, and money-saving invention.

PROS

Low Carbon Footprint

After weighing up the environmental benefits against fossil fuel options, you’ll see that heat pumps are a cost-cutting, greener choice. A typical pump uses around 75% natural energy from the outside air with the other 25% coming from electricity, affording sustainable energy and lower bills.

RHI And Government Incentives

Air source heat pumps can generate enough energy to qualify for the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive scheme (RHI) – an incentive to promote the use of renewable heat to help the UK reduce its carbon emissions and meet renewable energy targets. Therefore, through lower energy bills and the government scheme, the heat pump eventually pays for itself multiple times over.

Save Money on Bills

For comparison, traditional boilers operating at 90% efficiency still endure a 10% loss of heat through the burning of fossil fuels to generate that heat. However, heat pumps boast an efficiency rating of around 350%, which not only means they’re greener, but they also lose less heat. Because heat isn’t being lost and wasted, your home is warmed more efficiently, and the result is, therefore, lower energy bills.

Cooling and Heating

Thanks to its high functioning and versatility, the pump can be used for cooling as well as heating for some applications. This means that you don’t necessarily need to install separate costly heating and air conditioning units.

DHW and Space Heating

You get the best of both in one handy, efficient system; a pump offers both domestic hot water (DHW) to provide hot water for the kitchen and bathroom sinks, tubs and other appliances, whilst at the same time providing space heating, which is normally provided through radiators, electric heaters, and fireplaces using fuel, electricity, gas, or solar power.

CONS

Lower Operating Temperature

A boiler typically works at around 70°C, however, an air source heat pump operates at about 35°C to 45°C for a radiator system and around 55°C for hot water.

Technology Adaptation and Longer Hot Water Regeneration

Due to the nature of the technology, it can sometimes take some time for hot water to appear. Plus, it can take longer for hot water tanks to regenerate.

May Require Space and More Plumbing

Some systems do need sufficient space and extra plumbing in order to be installed and work. This means that some smaller homes and businesses may struggle to find such space.

Possible Upgrades and Installations

Many pump systems can work alongside existing radiators and plumbing, but some may require new or upgraded ones.

Costly Installation

Although the system saves you money in the long run through reduced energy bills and government schemes, initial installation can be quite expensive.

Not Benefited to All Homes

A pump may suit some homes but not necessarily yours, which you’ll be able to find out by consulting us first – we’ll guide you and provide professional advice as to whether or not your home can benefit from this kind of system.

Noise

Plenty of models are quiet, but there are equal numbers that are not – some ASHP condensers can be noisy, which may not be suitable for many homes and commercial buildings.

Lower Savings than Gas

A gas boiler replacement costs on average £2,300 and is a great quick, cheap heating solution. Alternatively, an air source heat pump ranges from £8,000 to £30,000 depending on a number of factors, which is a lot to pay out upfront even with long-term reduced costs and government schemes.


Popular SearchesHide Popular Searches